Monday, January 9, 2012

G...

01-09-2012. Yesterday it was pointed out by one of my respected peers that my sketch of Lisa looked like I'd substituted a basketball for her head to sketch. Sounds harsh, but not really. This is how we learn. Today I was having some difficulty with my friend Matt here (who as it happens is a great writer). I actually used a pencil to put in the general shape of the head, but then found myself refining the shape a bit with the pencil, too. I wound up sketching him out in ink after I'd resized his head (and coat) to a better size... hopefully this time less ball-shaped. What happened? Dunno. Could it be that in jumping size in the paper and giving myself MORE room it made it harder? Hm. Ah well, this is why we practice.  ;-)

I changed up a bit again, too, by minimizing the lines for his nose. And the lines denoting color in his eyes. Aside from my friend Amy's eyes (several sketches ago) Matt has the brightest light blue eyes you've ever seen... I didn't in any way want to muddy them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment