Monday, March 28, 2011

A buncha different ones...and a thought...and another thought....

So tonight I THOUGHT I had a breakthrough (or maybe just a "duh!" thought).  While I was looking at all the sketches that I did today.  Granted they are all quite random in the way that they are drawn.  I'm still very much in the early stages of finding my sketching "voice" I'd guess you'd say.  Which is frustrating at times, because I'd really just like to be good.  Well, DUH.  It takes work.  And practice. And more practice. And maybe then I'll figure out what feels good to me.  Now HERE'S the "duh" thought...  I was getting a bit frustrated with the fact that when I try to sketch fast I make the features incorrect sizes... here's an ear dangling off a chin like it's 6 inches big, there's a nose that makes Jimmy Durante look petite.  So I thought Aha!  I'll have to practice both, drawing quickly to let the line be loose, and I'll have to practice drawing slowly to get the proportions correct.  And then I thought Dummy.  Stop thinking so much.  

 (03-28-2011.  More of a light vs. dark exercise and keeping the pen on the paper as much as possible.)
 (03-28-2011. Quick sketch on the train.  I like the lines, which seem to have a purpose in this one.)
 (03-28-2011.  I'd say a bit wonky on the perspective and sizes...but I'd be lying.  It's WAY off.  One of the things that frustrated me a bit today.  I DID like the way his face came out.  I should have stopped there.)
 (03-28-2011. Another good example of whoops.  The girl started out really quite good, but the nose and upper lip were drawn too small and in enlarging them it lost that nice petite line.  And I liked dude's face, but his nose was a bit big.  Meh.  On to the next one)
(03-28-2011.  Last sketch of the night, quick sketch, good proportions (for the most part)..hehe...it's always good to stop on a good note.)

So, kids, what did we learn today?  What's better, proportions, or lines?  Sides of me are still duking this one out.  Right brain/ left brain.

Maybe I should just leave the brain out of it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment