Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sssteph...again

One thing I've noticed is that when you sketch someone it's a lot...well, the word easier is incorrect, but it's the closest that I can come to in meaning... so I'll use it... It's a lot easier to sketch someone that seems to have a very stable character. Meaning, they don't have a lot of animation in their faces. They may smile, or frown, but they're generally low key so their features are pretty stable. It's a lot HARDER to sketch someone who is more animated, who shows more emotion, because their faces seem so elastic that when you capture them mid look or gesture (even while being photographed) you think "That doesn't look like them!" even though it does. Because instead of one smile, they may have twenty different types of smiles.

Back to Sssteph. Sssteph is one of those animated people. I've tried several times to catch her personality on the paper and never was satisfied. I think I've finally gotten one where I think I'm satisfied. It feels like her at that moment (this photo was taken of her and used by her in a madonna-like piece of art. It feels like I captured that mother-of-Jesus-icon-as-a-modern-day-woman-sketched-like-a-cartoon. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment