Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sleeper

I met Sleeper about a gazillion years ago, when I hung out with a friend at the bowling alley once in a while. They were on the same bowling team. I found him articulate, amusing, and intelligent. And a good bowler. We've kept in touch off an on, and the other day I asked him if I could sketch him. He graciously agreed. He has a wonderful face to sketch. Usually when people say "character" it's taken as a detrimental comment. But his face DOES have character. Lots of lovely smile dimples. The lesson that I took away from this one? Well, it was practice... practice on drawing a face that isn't all there, since it's partially covered. You'd think that it wouldn't be all that hard, but when I sketch, I sketch from the bones out... so I need to sketch the whole head as a shape to locate the facial features and get them in the correct spot without having them askew.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! This sketch was done by my friend Cyndi whom I met several years ago. One of the great joys I have is meeting new people and making new friends. Better yet is when after years of friendship, you continue to learn new things about each other. I always knew Cyndi had many talents and skills ... but a sketch artist - a GREAT one at that was not one of them.

    Since I am an avid amateur photographer, I rarely appear in front of a camera so pics of me are far and few between. That said, this sketch was from a pic and I think it is better than the pic itself. THANKS Cyndi for the flattering pic and comments! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete